SOLD OUT - waitlist only - Seventh Annual UnCommon Core: Mid-Florida Style

A duniversity.seal.rgb.maroonay of intellectual stimulation, networking, and socializing.

The Alumni Club of Mid-Florida is pleased to present our seventh annual UnCommon Core: Mid-Florida Style. Informative and provocative lectures by three distinguished scholars will be the centerpiece of a day of intellectual stimulation, networking, and socializing. A panelists’ roundtable will conclude the day. Scroll down for the link to a special hotel rate.
 

Featured Speakers:

Ddan-hooperan Hooper, senior scientist at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and a professor of Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of Chicago, has researched dark matter, which along with dark energy, makes up 95 percent of the universe. We live in the world of the other 5 percent. Where is the “missing” 95 percent? The answer may go back to the very beginning. He will discuss his new book “At the Edge of Time: Exploring the Mysteries of Our Universe’s First Seconds.” Click here to order Dan’s book, and use code P212 to get 40% off.

Jack E. Davis, jack-davisPulitzer-Prize winning author of “The Gulf: The Making of An American Sea” and professor of history and Rothman Family Chair in the Humanities at University of Florida, will discuss “The U.S. and the Gulf of Mexico: History, Wisdom, and Hope.”




Chris Taylor ichris-taylors an associate professor of English and director of graduate studies in the Department of English at the University of Chicago, where he teaches black Atlantic literature from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Chris's first book, Empire of Neglect: The West Indies in the Wake of British Liberalism won the American Studies Association's Lora Romero First Book prize. He discovered a curious phenomenon in the late Antebellum South: Free blacks who petitioned to be re-enslaved. Why? That’s the subject of his book project titled “The Voluntary Slave: Atlantic Modernity’s Impossible Subject” and the topic of his talk, “Self-Enslaving Narratives and the Anarchy of Antebellum Black Life.”

For out-of-town visitors, a special hotel rate of $189 plus tax is available at the Courtyard by Marriott St. Petersburg Downtown. Book your University of Chicago Alumni Club group rate by 12/26/2019.
 

       

This event is sold out.

Event Information

Cost:

$35/person

$10/graduates of the College from 2009 to 2019
Breakfast and lunch are included.

Wine and beer available for a donation.

RSVP by January 18, 2020

When:

9:00AM - 4:30PM Sat 25 Jan 2020 ( Timezone: Eastern )

Where:

The Studio @620
620 First Avenue South
St. Peterburg, FL

[ Get Directions ]

  Enter Waitlist Here...

Please enter your details below and click the 'Add to Waitlist ->' button at the bottom. When tickets become available, you will be notified.
Note: red fields are required.
First Name:
Last Name:
Email:
Organization:
Tel:
Title/Function:
Website:
Degree/Year if applicable:
Qty of tickets desired:

Please type the digits shown here into this box:

Look Who's Coming:

Walter Blenner
Martha Griffin
Danette (Dani) Kauffman
Diane Adams
Kenneth Pierce
  alumn
Rob Pierce
  alumna
Raymond Kulla
Guest of Raymond Kulla kathleen k
Diane Whitaker
Lemuel Seabrook
Sally Israel
Bill Israel
Juana Harper
Susan Slattery
Brian Slattery
Charles Steyer
Christine Steyer
Sharon Dante
Steve Dante
Kenneth Andre
Serpil Emre
Guest of Serpil Emre Delise
Cathrine Keller
Guest of Cathrine Keller Jeff Jackson
Jose Velazquez
David Smith
  Gray Robinson
JoAnn Urofsky
Veronica Drake
Barbara Kazanis
Deno Kazanis
Barbara Katz
Lowell Curtis
Sara Toussaint
Peter Kretzmer
Emily Karsina
Maneesha Lal
Heather Bush
  Eckerd College
Mark Corusy
Stephen Turner
  University of South Florida
Robert Miller
Philip Gelber
  Cardiovascular Associates
Deanna Bennett
Beth McCarty
John Polking
Guest of John Polking
Robert Karp
Mariela Karp
Linda Tien
Erasmo Passaro
Erasmo Passaro Jr
Juliana Passaro
Farrah Cavus
Levisa Cavus
Norman Brodsky
Claudia Berman
... a total of 56 guests.
Note: to opt out from this list please sign in, go to My Account and change your preferences under My RSVPs.
Questions?
Contact Suzanne Verhulst, AB'81, at
sverhulst@uchicago.edu